Before Emma became a missionary for DeafBridge, she was part of a translation team, helping to translate portions of the Bible into Romanian Sign Language. She remains a strong advocate for the Deaf being able to access the scriptures in their heart language and takes the opportunity to share the sign language scriptures with others whenever possible. She has shared at various conferences, at Youth With a Mission Discipleship Training School for the Deaf in Romania, and even on a local news channel.
Through her experience in sign language Bible translation and in her local church, Emma realized that just having the scriptures wasn’t enough. So many young people in Romania have been to church, have known the scriptures, but are cold towards God, the Gospel, and Christians. Emma is passionate about reaching youth (late teens to early 30s) for Christ. This age group has remained nominal at best. Many are agnostic. This cold attitude towards the Gospel makes the work of a missionary difficult.
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in the time of need.Hebrews 4:16
Now as a missionary and church planter in training, Emma’s “team” is no longer in a translation studio office, but scattered across the world. However, national and international conferences that she looked forward to are canceled this year. Our plans to go to Romania for most of the summer to provide hands-on training, encouragement, and fellowship have been postponed due to the Coronavirus and the resulting travel restrictions.
Disappointed and feeling even more alone in her work, Emma has continued to press on. She recently completed her Bachelor’s degree in Cultural Anthropology, which she plans to use to help her in her work as a missionary. We are looking for alternate training plans, perhaps later in the fall or possibly through another source such as YWAM Romania. It’s hard not to be able to make any concrete plans or encourage and pray for one another in person. But we know that God is faithful and He is with Emma and there is no safer place for her to be than in the center of His will! We have encouraged Emma to draw near to the throne of grace during this time of need. Will you please join with us in praying for Emma and for the Deaf of Romania?
- Praise God that Emma was able to continue her studies and graduate!
- Pray that Emma will remain strong and courageous as she stands as a light of Christ to the Deaf in Romania.
- Pray that God will provide a way for Emma to continue learning and training as a church planter, even when we aren’t sure what that will look like right now.
- Pray for the hearts of the Deaf youth to be open to receive the Gospel message.
- Pray for God to raise up a teammate for Emma, especially during this time of social distancing and travel restrictions.
- Pray for us at DeafBridge as we mentor remotely and try to keep relationships strong during this time of restricted travel and uncertainty.
Below is just a sample of highlights from Emma’s ministry this past year:
Would you like to do more? If you are interested in supporting Emma and her work in Romania, use the following link to give online: https://www.myegiving.com/app/giving/Deaf9999200